- This event has passed.
State of Fashion: Out of sight, (not) out of mind?
June 30, 2022 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm€9.5
Panel discussion: Out of sight, (not) out of mind?
Join us live at the State of Fashion biennale for the screening of ‘The True Cost’, followed by a panel discussion. With industry experts, we will discuss whether producing clothes closer to home can mitigate the grotesque social and environmental damage of today’s fashion supply chain.
The True Cost
The documentary ‘ The True Cost’ will be screened by Focus, in collaboration with the Fibershed Netherlands Foundation, as part of the State of Fashion biennale.
The True Cost tells a story about clothing; about the clothes we wear, about the people who make these clothes, and the impact the clothing industry has on our world. The price of clothing has been falling for decades, while the costs for people and the environment have risen dramatically. The True Cost is a groundbreaking documentary that brings out the story that is not told and asks us to think about who really pays the price for our clothes.
The problems in today’s textile and fashion value chain are not or hardly visible to many stakeholders (makers, brands, and wearers). By tracing the journey of clothing from fiber to end of life, the film brings to light the almost unfathomable social and environmental damage our clothing leaves behind on its journey around the world. At the same time, the film highlights the gaps in awareness, and knowledge within the industry and among consumers. It is an important film aimed at raising awareness about the origin and destination of clothing.
Panel discussion: Out of sight (not) out of mind?
Following the screening of The True Cost, we will engage in a conversation with supply chain innovators on the question of how producing clothes closer more locally could help mitigate the social and environmental damage caused throughout the value chain.
- Nicci Kol, Brand- & Impact Catalyst, nudging regenerative economy & system change within the fashion industry at Raddis Cotton
- Xander Slager, Systemic change leader in fashion and co-founder of Amsterdam fashion brand New Optimist
- Stijntje Jaspers, Creative Circular Changemaker and co-founder at Fibershed Netherlands
- Yophi Ignacia, Sustainable Fashion Consultant | Founder at The Future Mode | Country Coordinator Fashion Revolution Netherlands
- Reina Ovinge, owner The Knitwit Stable, a farm and knitting studio, where the entire production chain of wool has been made visible.
Moderation: Martine Nieuwenhuis, Good Brand Guru
This event will take place in Arnhem, Netherlands. Tickets available via Focus: https://www.focusarnhem.nl/agenda/the-true-cost/
- June 30, 2022
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Panel Discussion
- Event Tags:
- Circular, Fair & Social, Fashion Economics, regenerative
- Online Event
- GOOD BRAND GURU
- View Organizer Website